Saturday, July 23, 2005

My favorite story

I live in Madison which is just a few miles from Lodi.....the birth place of international SUPERSTAR Tom Wopat. So from time to time, he comes into town on a visit. A few years ago, a friend of mine and I were at a local club for a show. We were in a mood that night, so we put on our cutest, shortest outfits complete with high heeled strappy sandals. At that time, we had perfected what we lovingly called the "power strut", a walk designed to intimidate anyone in a 500 yard radius. Attitude plus. Well, about halfway through the first set, we wandered into the main bar area to powder our noses, when who do we spy playing pool? Of course.....Tom Wopat!

My friend turned sheet white. She confessed that she'd had a giant crush on him since Dukes of Hazzard. I tried reminding her that he was quite a bit older now, but she insisted on meeting him. I had no doubt that she'd accomplish her goal. I could not have been more wrong.

There was a Brewer's game on TVs all around the bar including the set right above Tom's head. My friend fixed her make-up, checked her outfit and boldly took off towards her target. The "power strut" was perfect! Confident, sexy.....powerful. She stopped about 6 inches from Tom and that's where it all fell apart. Apparently she had not put any thought into what to say. She looked at Tom, looked at the TV and blurted out at the top of her lungs....."WHAT'S THE SCORE???" Tom seemed a bit shocked at first, but composed himself enough to respond "Brewer's up by 2." She promptly turned and ran into the bathroom, leaving me there laughing hysterically.

When I calmed down a bit, I managed to politely walk over, introduce myself, apologize profusely and acquire the autograph she had so desperately wanted.


Still chuckle when I hear....."What's the score?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG that's awesome. How sad and funny too. My best friend and I partied with Thin Lizzy once. At first tongues were tied, but finally she just wrapped herself around him. Great night. Until some lil ass thought he'd stake a claim. What a scene that was.