Friday, August 05, 2005

The Phone Number Challenge

The folks over at Shawn's blog seem to focus a lot on the phone number challenge. I'd like to discuss this further. See, I don't understand the trauma involved here. Personally, I am quite the introvert myself. I know you are all laughing at that, but it's true. However, that challenge would have been a piece of cake for me! These are people you don't know who you will most likely never see again. So what you say or do really doesn't matter.

I find it hard to approach people when I am invested in some way. New coworkers, guys I actually like, people like that. It's those situations that cause me to shut down and just observe until I decide how to proceed, which I often never do.

Now I will give my opinions on Anheauser Busch, the war in Iraq, sales tax vs. property tax and whether or not a particular outfit works. But as for anything personal, well, not a chance. That's where my wall is.

Anyone else feel this way?

91 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm exactly the same way. While at first I wouldn't have liked to do the challenge, I would have finally realized that I would never see these people again. I would have been even more hesitant if it was just me, but having other people around that I knew (as he had Chuck, Bill and Richard) would make it much easier.

I'm an extreme loner. It's sad, really. :(

M said...

I'm just a big dork.

I think growing up with an older brother, lots of older guy cousins around and his friends, I had to develop defense strategies. Those manifest as not taking any crap and being extremely susceptible to the double dog dare. Can't back down. Show no fear :)

Anonymous said...

I think I proved I'm susceptible to double dog dares..show no fear. I grew up an only child, but life, work, ect, made me real tough and talking to complete strangers is in my job description. Phone number challenge would have been easy...

I'm pretty open about myself, my feelings, opinions, thoughts, some personal stuff..but there is apoint where the wall goes up and you just don't get past it, unless i'm wigging out and not in control.

Funnily enough, I'm a loner and an introvert...and desperately shy around a guy I like...i forget how to talk...plus bad bod and bad self-image don't help..but just to talk to dudes and get phone numbers..I could do it.

Anonymous said...

Lucky you had people around! It was always just me... and my mom, until I moved out at 19. I had nobody to learn from.

M said...

What's with the bad self image? You rock!!!

M said...

Lindsey......stick with us kid. We'll learn ya right! We'll have to think of a really good double dog dare for you.....

Hmmm......

Anonymous said...

Uh-oh... what on Earth did I get myself into?!? lol

M said...

You're in trouble now!

Okay, I have to go do a billion sit ups now. Be back shortly!

Anonymous said...

A billion? Sounds painful. :)

Anonymous said...

she's the abs girl, billion situps not for nuthin. :)

lindsey..you are too cool..don't worry. it won't be terribly scary. though my double dog dare was disobeying shawn. :) i'm a rebel.

M..thanks. bad self-image is from the mirror...followed by lots of reinforcement from family and every guy i eveer dated. Totally good reasons i haven't dated in 10 years. I've gotten to place when I like myself well enough, but still feel worthless and hopeless about love and stuff. 'who'd want me?..what's wrong with me..' blah blah...i'm pretty comfy on the net though. ;)

you guys rock too!!! *hugs all 'round*

Anonymous said...

You know me... I run the gambit of quiet reflection and ramming my opinions down peoples throats. I also know living under the misconception of being extroverted when you are actually introverted. Just because I CAN function socially doesn't mean I prefer or even enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Jerod: I love that. "just because I can function..." that has to be the best description of how I feel about things...just perfect. I kinda run the same as you on the quiet reflection to opinions. You are da man. Da well spoken one that is.

Anonymous said...

oops sorry. Jared...not jarod. I hate when people screw my name up..so many apologies. :)

M said...

Jared, who ever said you could function socially? Just kidding of course. You know I love you.

But yeah, that's exactly what I meant. You know me pretty well. I attract a crowd. But I'm much happier just hanging with one or two people and chatting.

As for the abs......I'm getting them back if it kills me. Can't pinch anything on the front any more. Have a little more work on the sides.

M said...

Oh and Lindsey.....it is painful. That's why I do them at home. Health clubs frown on swearing openly at the instructors ;)

Anonymous said...

See..i think if we had health clubs where we could swear at the instructors we'd be much happier. :)

btw..I just gotta say..I really LOVE our side bar chatting. It's the introvert. ;)

M said...

I know. Big fun! And we don't take up all Shawn's space. I do miss the Trevor input occasionally....

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain... only once in a while, though. lol I attempt to do pilates every so often. I don't know how they expect people just starting out to bend and straighten as they do. It is painful if I only do it for five minutes!

mistipetal - thanks for the "too cool" comment. hehe... it's funny because that's how I think of you two. It is nice to expand my online community of friends... I have a hard time getting along with a lot of people in real life.

M said...

Lindsey, glad you feel the love here. We're pretty easy going. Mostly just silly. And it's nice to have more people in our twisted conversations!

Anonymous said...

twisted silly and full of love...thats us...i love our group. And while I enjoy trevor..i'm kinda glad to have a trevor free zone too. ;)

much love to you all..

M said...

True, true....it's just us girls.....and Jarod.

Anonymous said...

Jared seems cool..he can hang with the cool chicks. Sometimes..you just can't be yourself in the company of men.

Anonymous said...

"Sometimes..you just can't be yourself in the company of men."

How true... how true.

Whew! I can't keep up. You all post too fast for me!

M said...

I'll give you a minute....I need to shower.

M said...

Oh and Lindsey....if you haven't done so already.....read "My Favorite Story."

Anonymous said...

I'm always having to repost as soon as I finish because I've missed posts as i've been writing. What can we say...just too much wit to waste. ;)

sometimes i have to play catch up. especially if i've missed a few hours.

Anonymous said...

oh oh..i agree..'my favorite story' is AWESOME!!!!

and btw..if i forget to say at some point...we want full disclosure on all dirty details. :)

Anonymous said...

"My Favorite Story"... that's the one about that one guy, right? LOL Tom Wopat or whatever his name is? Maybe not... I'll go check it out. I read too many blogs to remember who posts what.

Anonymous said...

yeah..that's the tom wopat one..its excellent

Anonymous said...

Haha... yeah I remember reading that one. That was good. It sounds like something I would do.

*sigh* I'm soooo ready to go home.

Anonymous said...

I like home so much better. I'm way raunchier when I know a co-worker won't come up and read over my shoulder.

M said...

mistipetal....maybe I'm following to many threads right now, but full disclosure on what?

Anonymous said...

oh..the party...what all happened..what you did...all that. We do have a lot of threads going.

Anonymous said...

I'm in a cubical... and I face my doorway, so nobody can sneak up behind me unless they are looking over the wall. :)

Yes... we want FULL details!

M said...

Oh of course. We are going to be a freak show on wheels, let me tell you.....

M said...

Let's see.....her mother is coming. And several older people from her job I don't know. Also, the groom's cousin's wife.....who is a sweetheart, but apparently is now blind and is bringing her guide dog.

Anonymous said...

THAT's why we want full details!!! We've already gotten a taste for your stories...and this one is gonna have to have some good ones. :)

Anonymous said...

oh god..i'm so wrong...my first thought is...how can you dress up the dog....

M said...

Here's a good one...

Right after I broke up with Satan, a friend took me out to prove "I still had it." We met a couple of hotties. Not the kind you date, but the kind you play with after a bad break-up. And I got one of them to "impress me" by sticking drink straws up his nose.....all the way up his nose. I have pictures. Talk about a real "geek"!

Anonymous said...

Satan huh...damn..I didnt know we'd been sharing guys....

and I want to SEE those pics!! how awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

I need to date more guys... I haven't run into Satan yet.

M said...

Satan takes many forms. Be careful. And if you're lucky, you won't have to date him.

Anonymous said...

But... but... I think I may have a lot in common with Satan. :)

Anonymous said...

Satan does take many forms. some are hot...some are just assholes. Avoid him if at all possible. Stick to the good guys...few and far between though they may be.

M said...

I completely concur with mistipetal. Avoid Satan at all costs.

Anonymous said...

yes..and i have some things in common too, but..trust me. You want the differences...its like man parts..its just not as good when you are too similar.

Anonymous said...

LOL. Okay, I'll stay away.

I'm so picky... yet I'm so in a hurry to get married. Life sucks. haha

M said...

Okay guys.....now I'm just procrastinating. I should probably get going if I'm going to finish my penis shopping and visit the baby before Firefly. It's just so hard....

Anonymous said...

Ok..lecture time. I too was in a hurry to get married. All my friends were getting married. And trust me, you've not experience misery til you've had a huge gathering of all couples...and you. So...a-marrying I went. It was Satan. I'm still paying for my mistake 13 years later. And I'll be paying for it the rest of my life. Good things in life are totally worth waiting for...and Lindsey..you can get a good one. You are way too cool not to. Don't fall for Satan's tricks....he's a sneaky fucker

Anonymous said...

Go! Get outta here! Leave!

Anonymous said...

Don't worry MsL...I have to got to get my kiddo soon and Lindsey will escape from work...but we shall return...and hey...get some damn good penises. pensii?

Anonymous said...

Hehe... I don't even get lectures from my mom! It's all good though.

I know I won't rush into marriage. If anything I just want the family, kids mainly... I don't really care to much about the actual marriage right now. I'm definitely one that doesn't like to wait for anything. I'm learning, slowly, that I get what I want when I let my life take it's own course. :)

Anonymous said...

Yep... I'm leaving work here in 30 minutes. Then I won't be back online until later tonight. Plenty of time for you to go shopping. :)

Anonymous said...

yay! sensible smart Lindsey. learn from our mistakes. my grandmother was a most excellent lecturer...I kinda have to go for it sometimes. :) in the blood, you know.

you are most wise Lindsey. I spent too much time just leaping into things. besides...once we get our gym chain running..we'll have more money and guys than we know what to do with. :)

Anonymous said...

I've spent a lot of time leaping into buying things... BAD habit. I'm definitely gonna need that money from the gym! HAHA.

Anonymous said...

I've spent a lot of time leaping into buying things... BAD habit. I'm definitely gonna need that money from the gym! HAHA.

Anonymous said...

Ugh... sorry for the double post. Browser froze up and I hit the button one too many times trying to force it thru. See... I told you I don't like to wait. haha

Anonymous said...

Lindsey...totally know that one too. Man...i love to buy. too too much. we have to make some bucks. :)

Anonymous said...

damn double posts!!! we'll have to flog you for that one. :) you know...shawn might need cpr after he sees what we've been up to..hee

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I could help with that CPR... *eg*

I think we've basically taken over his board. He just seems to post a daily topic, we have a few posts on topic, then all hell breaks loose from there!

M said...

And then we take it over here....

So I bought some goofy stuff....tiara, whistle, etc.... But then I found "Mr. Dick Head". It's like Mr. Potato head but, well, you're smart girls.

I also got one of those card/dare games. I think we may find Lindsey's double dog dare in here. My favorites so far..."Remove a man's sock and keep it." (Wouldn't that leave Shawn with only one sock?) And "Yell at the top of your lungs "I'm lonely, will someone please marry me."

M said...

Hey Girls! Brilliant idea....we can have the wrestling at Bitch Boys!

Anonymous said...

I love it! Wrestling at bitch boys is perfect!!! And i think you can totally find a good double dog dare there

M said...

Does declaring my undying love to Shawn count?

Anonymous said...

dammit...yahoo crashed on me...i'll try to come back later...hopefully you'll be around?

M said...

It has been doing that. I'll be checking in and out. I should spend some time with the bunny.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Here come the dares!!

I say the group of us gets together... and we head to the Minnesota State Fair and just happen to stumble upon the Mensa booth... hehe. That would probably be considered stalking, though, wouldn't it? And that would be very bad.

M said...

I'm in!

Anonymous said...

Hehehe...

M said...

I'm serious Lindsey. I'll go if you will. I might even fall on my back....

Anonymous said...

I would really love to... but Shawn's only going to be there during the week, and I'm already taking four days off work at the beginning of September (I work mon-fri). And I believe Minnesota is a good 10-11 hour drive for me. :)

M said...

Really? I have a pretty free schedule these days. I may anve to go :) How did I miss you on the chat. And hoe do you know when He's going to be there?

Anonymous said...

Well... I get really, really bored at work lol, and I was looking at the Minnesota Mensa site he posted. On there it has a schedule of who is going to be there on what day. And I'm assuming he's Shawn B. :) I think he's there in the morning on a Tuesday and a Friday. Now if he was there on a Saturday, I'd go! LOL

M said...

I saw Friday. Feeeling like I have to go :)

Anonymous said...

Oh you should go!!

M said...

Ae you online now?

Anonymous said...

so what happened? I hate not being able to chat. I miss so much. *grumps*

M said...

We decided that if it was going to be uncomforatble, we'd be just as dorky.......if not more.

I'm picking up pictures this afternoon and will try to post somewhere. Maybe Nerdtopis. You can see us doing every stupid dance we could think of including the Seinfeld kick!

How was your weekend?

Anonymous said...

Pics would be good. :) My weekend was pretty good I guess. My daughter adn I got makeovers and saw movies.

did i miss lots of fun stuff?

M said...

Besides the naked Trevor webcam? No.

Anonymous said...

naked trevor webcam??????? OH MY GOD. I think that might be for the best. ;)

M said...

From what I hear, yes. I was online, but did not have the capabilities to view. By the time I did, his wife had come home and he left abruptly.

Hmmmmm....

Anonymous said...

I think trevor has got quite a bit of the naughty. I miss the forums though. I can't chat, so truly sucks...that's me being selfish though. *sniff*

I was online the other night, way late, and I was trying to play this game and some guy asks me to talk. He asked if I was married, I said "no..divorced..you?" Him "yeah." me: so why aren't you spending your time with your wife? him: I'm wasting my time talking to you. ...then his classy exit line "I need to pee" and disappeared. Lord.

M said...

Nice.

Okay.....going to get pictures now!

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!

M said...

Gosh. I don't know if I can post any of these.

Anonymous said...

Ooohhh! Pictures!!

Whew... I didn't hear about the webcam. Glad I wasn't online then!

M said...

That was extra special for just a couple of us. Marie and Cynthia saw it.

Anonymous said...

not possible to post...or just too naughty to post? :)

I really don't wanna see trev naked. I like him, but sometimes I just wanna smack him upside the head. errr...the one where the brain goes i mean.

M said...

Either not interesting enough or too naughty. I will try.

Anonymous said...

we like naughty. :)