Wednesday, August 10, 2005

They are buying us with liquor!!!!!

Buying Drinks for Girls


Teenage girls were more likely to get alcohol than boys of the same age, according to a new survey from the American Medical Association.

Bloomberg News reported Aug. 8 that half of American girls ages 13-18 said they had obtained alcoholic drinks "one way or another" -- including from family members, strangers, peers, or boyfriends. By comparison, 45 percent of 13- to 18-year-old boys said they had obtained alcohol by some means.

"I don't think the average parent thinks this is a girl issue,'' said AMA President J. Edward Hill, who said that girls getting alcohol from older boyfriends could help explain the disparity between the sexes.

An accompanying online poll found that 72 percent of adults agreed that supplying alcohol to minors is illegal and that laws against underage drinking should be enforced. But 31 percent said teens should be able to drink at home.

Adults were the most common source of alcohol for teens of both sexes, the AMA said.

The online poll, conducted by Harris Interactive, involved 2,283 adults. Teenage Research Unlimited conducted the survey, which included 701 boys and girls.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm... my mom always believed in that whole "allowed to drink at home" thing. It wasn't like she let me have enough to get wasted, but I was allowed to drink wine coolers and stuff like that (like that's enough to do anything - and most of the time I didn't even have a whole one). Her reason was that she'd rather give it to me, and have me be at home, than for me to go out and do it behind her back risking driving and everything else. And actually, I think it worked. I think the thrill of going and doing something I wasn't supposed to do was gone, so I didn't go out behind her back.

M said...

I can get behind the parental thing. Mine did that too. But it's when parents provide alcohol for other people's kids that I get angry.

Anonymous said...

Oh no, no... that's bad. My mom never did that. She only did it for me, and it wasn't even like it was an everyday thing either... in fact it didn't happen much at all, just special occasions.

But to supply other people's kids with alcohol is just wrong. Especially if the other parents don't know about it.

M said...

It happens way too much. Adults think it's safer to have kids in the house not driving. They somehow overlook the idea that driving isn't the only negative consequence of drinking. Alcohol poisoning, date rape, etc.

Makes me angry.

Anonymous said...

my family was that way too. they'd rather let me try anything at home than out and about...worked. I was done with liquor before I turned 21. I don't think buying it for others is a good move, though my parents did it for me and my best friend..but only them